So you’ve decided to go on a well design ketogenic diet and you don’t know what to do with things like sugar, honey and omega-6 rich vegetable oil that are in your cupboard? I have the perfect solution: a homemade sugar and oil face and body scrub.
Those expensive sugar scrubs you see in department stores and spas actually cost pennies to make. Sugar scrubs are a simple beauty recipe with countless variations. They can increase circulation to the skin, be exceptionally moisturizing and be a gentle exfoliant. They can be used on face and/or body and make your skin feel silky soft.
Here’s The Basic Recipe: Use 2 parts sugar (white or brown sugar) to 1 part oil. It translates into 1 cup of sugar for ½ cup of oil for instance. That is it! It can be use on wet or dry skin (I use it on dry skin for a more moisturizing effect). It will keep on the counter for up to 2 months (as long as there is no water that gets into the mix).
You can add all kind of things to the basic recipe or use it as is. Here are a few ideas:
- Add ½ tsp Vitamin E oil
- Add ½ tsp of spices like pumpkin pie spices, ginger or cinnamon
- Add 1 tsp real vanilla extract or other extract
- 10-20 drops essential oil like lemon, orange, lavender, peppermint, sandalwood or any scent or combinations you might like (make sure it not irritating).
- A Tablespoon of honey
- A Tablespoon of lemon juice (make a small batch; water based ingredients won’t keep at room temperature)
- A Tablespoon or Two of dry coffee grinds (caffeine is good against cellulite!)
As a body scrub: Apply to body, paying extra close attention to elbows, knees, feet and hands (nails and cuticles especially) and rub in circular motions for 3 to 5 minutes. Rinse with warm or lukewarm water rubbing your skin with your bare hands. Pat dry with a small towel. Be careful, the bottom of the tub will become slippery!
As a face scrub: Apply to clean face in gentle, circular motions. Rinse. Pat dry.
They are good enough to eat, but don’t!